Welcome!

Monday, March 7, 2011

Why I Really Like Chelsea

I started kicking a ball aimlessly on my grandmother's balcony at the age of 4 but I was not really exposed to the game until I was 5-6. It was only until then I was introduced to Chelsea by my father and it was during the Lampard/Drogba times. I watched numerous games with him without necessarily understanding what was going on, but it was still fun. You can say I sort of became a Chelsea fan from there but it was mostly due to my dad, and he made no mistake of it!


I started getting into it more when I was 10, and a nice memory back then was our Premier League triumph in 2010. I only watched most of the game but then headed to basketball practice (which I don't even watch or play anymore!), and came back home in a rush to find out we had won. I was really happy.

Since then, my love for Chelsea was slowly growing, I was watching more games by myself and enjoying them everytime. Win or lose, it didn't make too much of a difference then, I just wanted to support my team and thought defeat was normal and part of the game. I didn't even understand the offside, refereeing decisions, and these small details. It was all about the boys in blue and especially Lampard. Whenever we'd score I would react like the modern day Arab commentators "GOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLL", and even when I'd watch a game right after school and my dad was still at work, I'd call him to announce we had found the back of the net.

I really liked Lampard (that's why I've always type his name in this note) and I had become ever so attached to the Chelsea back then. We weren't the most successful team back then, but we had made it to the Champions League Semi Final. I would get angry whenever we lost to Manchester United, home or away, and even run to my room to online Facebook and like the "We Hate Manchester United" page. I lived in Malaysia, so the games were usually in the midnight.

The last few years have just been crazy as a Chelsea fan. Many ups and downs but that has never stopped me from liking and supporting the club through thick and thin. I haven't had the opportunity to go to London but Insha-Allah, I'll be able to go to London someday. Every goal of every game I celebrate at my school when recess. The team spirit is unbelievable. I like Chelsea to bits and I always will. Some of the shows they've put on home and away have been tremendous and historical. I'm proud to be a Chelsea fan despite the curses flashed upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment!